|Job Type:||Non-exempt (hourly)|
About American Vacuum Society (AVS):As an interdisciplinary, professional Society, AVS supports networking among academic, industrial, government, and consulting professionals involved in a variety of disciplines - chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, all engineering disciplines, business, sales, etc. through common interests related to the basic science, technology development, and commercialization of materials, interfaces, and processing area.
Each year, AVS hosts local and international meetings, publishes four journals, honors member through its awards and recognition program, provides training, and offers career services.
Founded in 1953, AVS is organized into technical divisions and technical groups that encompass a range of established as well as emerging science and technology areas. There are also regional chapters, international chapters and affiliates, and student chapters that promote communication and networking for professionals and students within a geographical region. AVS is comprised of approximately 4,500 members worldwide.
AVS is a member society of the American Institute of Physics (AIP) with additional benefits for our members. Learn more at https://avs.org/
About the Job:
The AVS Publications Editorial Coordinator is a full-time position in a small but fast-paced office for someone interested in a professional opportunity with long-term career growth potential. The office is located in Cary, NC and is the publications branch of a not-for-profit professional scientific society.
- Publications Coordination:
- Work with AVS Publications Office Manager to assure timeliness of journal processing in a busy office.
- Travel to meetings to assist with Publications-related events and initiatives, is required.
- Assist with coordination of AVS journals, special issues and awards related to topical conferences.
- Editorial Manuscript Processing:
- Learn the Peer XPress system and workflow. Peer Xpress is an online manuscript processing system where authors submit manuscripts, figure files, letters and associated details. Editors, reviewers and staff work with this system to process journal articles leading to timely publishing.
- Handle manuscript processing, author, review, and editor notifications and communications.
- Marketing Coordination:
- Follow up needed on new or regular promotional and marketing efforts.
- Coordinate journal cover printed photo mailings 3-4 times/year with Editorial Assistant. Order and pick up prints, mail, follow up on charting. This would include occasional trips to a photo center or the post office.
- Coordinate monthly newsletter highlights for publications for Beneath the Surface. Gather article highlight suggestions from Editors, and submit to AVS Marcom Manager each month.
- Marketing coordination tasks may include: email content gathering; proofing marketing content before dissemination; use of Facebook or Twitter, or other social media venues, and sending and tracking various promotional emails to particular authors/reviewers.
- General Office and Communication
- A wide range of tasks may include: meeting participation; various charting of statistics; driving to post office for mail drop off or to store to pick up an office supply order; and refilling copier paper.
- Assistance with office cleanliness is handled by all staff and includes regular tidying, watering plants, dusting and periodic vacuuming.
- Computer Proficiencies:
- Other duties may include: data entry; printing; using journal websites; e-filing; tracking and sending regular marketing emails.
- Manage and work efficiently with electronic files and subfolders.
- A four-year undergraduate degree is required and some previous professional business experience is preferred.
- Ability to travel for meetings within the U.S. 2 to 4 times per year.
- Must be a team player as well as being able to work individually.
- Must be a quick learner and self-motivated.
- Ability to coordinate, plan, and multi-task within deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and generally good computer skills required. Prior experience with MS Publisher is a plus.
- Excellent oral, written, and professional communication skills are required with the majority of communications handled via email.